Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chapter 24-25

These chapters introduce a couple of key concepts. Chapter 24 speaks of "leading with heart". And Chapter 25 contains Rule #7:

Enthusiasm Attracts More Passengers and Energizes them During the Ride

Also interesting in chapter 25 is the story Jack tells about becoming the CEO (Chief Energy Officer). Once he learned to lead with his heart, to encourage his staff, and to be positive his career was revived and his company went to new heights.

I attempt to "lead with heart", though it is admittedly not always easy. I am quite introverted by nature. But I notice the difference when I have a personal connection with a student, parent, or staff member compared with the ones I don't. I also try to be enthusiastic, both to motivate those around me and motivate myself. As some of you will probably attest, I do better at this some days than others.

Think about your classrooms. Are you leading with heart? Are you enthusiastic about your subject matter? Do students have a purpose when they enter your classroom, or do they simply arrive every day because their schedule directs them to do so? If you are brave, maybe you want to share your thoughts here. If not, that is fine, but I want all those who read this to consider these questions internally.

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to think I teach my subject with heart. Actually, more with passion. I love telling stories about my experiences living with families abroad, participating in cultural traditions that are new to me, watching soccer games during dinner, etc... The good thing about my subject is that it's more than just teaching students how to speak Spanish. It's about instilling this passion to learn about other customs, to encourage the desire to travel abroad (even if it's not to a Spanish speaking country), and to promote all the positive things there are to learn about other cultures. I am a story telling kind of person, and I feel lucky to teach the subject that I do because it allows me to share my personal stories, which always energize me, and hopefully my students as well. That is why I feel I am leading my classroom with heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some days I lead with heart/ energy/enthusiasm and some days it can be very difficult. It can become very frustrating when you "think" you bring your best and the students do not respond well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kurt. I feel like I am enthusiastic about math most days, but some days are better than others. I do know that when I get out of the way and let the students participate and learn something themselves or learn something from each other, I get excited and so do they. I do know that this positive energy is contagious and I need to take advantage of this.

    ReplyDelete